Can your home or office make you sick?

Building Biology seeks healthy, ecologically sound environments

“Sick building syndrome” is a symptom of poor quality indoor air. Fumes given off (offgassing) by synthetic chemicals and toxins used in modern building materials that cannot escape a tightly-constructed, super-insulated home build up in the indoor environment. Moisture also is trapped; mold and mildew can be the result. Radon, a radioactive substance in the ground can seep into buildings.

Some people are exposed to toxins in the workplace. Even those not engaged in occupations with direct exposures (such as the printing industry, dry cleaning, hair salons or pest control) can be exposed to fumes trapped in tightly sealed, energy-efficient buildings. Re-circulated air in these buildings can hold fumes from carpets, cleaning chemicals, pesticides, copiers and inks.

 

Continue reading “Can your home or office make you sick?”

%d bloggers like this: